Monday, December 5, 2011

Body Pump Moves with Proper Technique: A Perfect Dead Lift

Dead Lifts:

This is the most common exercise leading to injury. It's so important to do this correctly. First, like squats, keep your knees soft at all times. The knees stay in one position throughout the exercise. As you bend over, the knees do not bend more, but stay stable.

This exercise requires a proper abdominal connection to support your back so as you bend over, your back stays flat. Think of it as hinging from the waste and sticking the butt out as you go down. Keep your eyes about 6 feet in front of you on the floor. As you stand up, squeeze your bum and drive your hips forward. You will feel this in your glutes, lower back as well as your hamstrings.

In order to keep a flat back, the shoulders must remain down and back throughout the exercise. To highlight this feeling, simply roll your shoulders down and back before you start the exercise. This will give you the feeling of proper engagement. Try to sustain this position throughout the movement. They will want to migrate up towards your ears. Be aware and try to take control.

Starting Position:
Notice how my shoulders are drawn back. My abs are engaged supporting my lower back. It's almost as if I'm over-emphasizing the shoulders, but this is important. As soon as you start to hinge forwards, the shoulders are going to want to slide towards your ears. You have to make a conscious effort to keep them down and back.

Notice in the down position of my dead lift. My eyes are on the floor 6 feet in front keeping a straight line between the crown of my head and my tail bone. My abs are pulled in supporting my lower back. My knees are soft, but not bent and my butt is sticking all the way out. As you stand up, drive your hips forward and return to your starting position.

Below are common mistakes I see in almost every Body Pump class.
Notice how my chin is up. This is putting strain on my back and my neck. My shoulders are rounded forwards and my butt is not leading the movement. This position hurt to shoot, yet I see it every day. My abs were not engaged so my back was not supported and my shoulder position and neck position are causing strain on both the lower and upper back.
This down position is rounded. Although my head is correct, my knees are bent, not soft. My abs are loose and there is tons of pressure on my lower back. Always remember, keep your back flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment